Welcome to my Web Blog.

This is to keep all my friends updated on what's going on with the FC&W and my other railroad adventures. The name Flagstaff, Coconino and Western came from Flagstaff, where I live, Coconino is the county, and Western is where I go to visit other clubs and railroads. I will try and update it on a regular basis.


The 2 1/2" scale D&RGW C-21 Project

September 9, 2010

Progress on the mogul

I have been making a lot of progress on the mogul. Sent the drivers over to the Barter Shops down the road to get them re gauged from 9" to 7 1/2" gauge since my lathe is to small. Also had to re profile the flanges as they were really thick and make longer main crank pins as I did not narrow in the cylinders. I had re gauged the lead truck a while back so that was out of the way. When I bought the engine it was 9" gauge and the frame was cut just behind the cylinders and shims were added by one of the previous owners to get the correct frame width. So instead of messing with the cylinder castings Jack Bodenman suggested a while back just to make new thicker shims to bring the frame in more and extend the main crank pins to still line up with the Main Rods. The result in this is just a bigger gap between the side rods and main rods. I had to make 3/4 blocks to bring the frame to the correct width. Once this was done I had to tackle narrowing in every thing that crossed the frame. That turned out to be a bigger project than I anticipated. Another thing that arose was that the original engine was designed to have the boiler sit in between the frame. Well when I narrowed in the frame, if I were to keep the boiler in between the frame, the firebox would be way too small. So the obvious thing to do is design it to have the boiler sit on top of the frame. The result in this is more work. The original engine had leaf springs that sat above all the drivers and frame. So in order to get the right size firebox for the boiler, the rear 2 leaf springs had to be taken off and redesigned. The first set of springs were relocated in between the frame between the first and second driver set. It was also set up with a equalizing bar between the 2nd and 3rd drivers, but that was on top of the frame to and in the way of the future boiler. So I dropped the bar between the frame to get it out of the way. I then had to draw up some new spring hangers that go over the top the journals on my CAD (if that's what you call them) for the 2nd driver set. They are connected to the equalizing bar and then to another spring hanger bracket over the 3rd set of drivers and then to a coil spring on the back since there is not enough room for the other leaf springs in the frame.
When I was in the middle of this I decided to sit the boiler tube on top just to see what it would look like. Crap! Another set back. When the frame was wider the boiler cleared the leaf springs above the frame but when I narrowed it in, it hits the first set of leafs by a lot. So I had to tear it apart again (by now I am loosing track on how many times I have put it together and taken it back apart) and mill down the blocks that were on the bottom of the leafs. Now they look like they will clear, we will see when I try and put the boiler jacketing on in the future. Once I made all the new brackets and pieces (and anyone out there who has built an engine knows all the little chickenshit pieces you have to make) I fit them up and took it apart for paint.
Now,what's left to do? I still need to make the rear brackets to go over the rear set of drivers and then I can reinstall the 3rd driver connect up the rods, time it, and run it on air. Its a lot of work but as my mentor Jack Sessums told me, "Stick with it and take one part at a time or it will never get done". I take that phrase into account every day and I think that's what keeps pushing me to get it done. This is keeping me busy while I wait for more parts to arrive for my C-21. The C-21 would be further along but someone who will remain nameless put in an order with the Hartford Shops to get 3 Berkshire driver sets and axles machined for his customers(wink, wink). That put the C-21 on hold as did the finishing up of the RGS 20's. Hopefully we will be seeing more parts for the engines in the coming months. Until then, get the mogul running on air and finish up the tender for it. The tender trucks are re gauged and done for it and the frame has been started. Finish up the frame and build the tank. Until then, back to the shop....








No comments: